Home > News from around the world > Papuan activist detained, then released


Papuan activist detained, then released

Thursday 4 August 2011

Save this article in PDF Version imprimable de cet article Version imprimable

Surya Anta, a leading member of People’s Liberation Party (used to be KPRM-PRD), was under arrest at Police Resort Metro Central Jakarta at noon 1st August 2011. He was arrested after given solidarity speech in protest action of West Papua National Committee (KNPB) this afternoon in front of Presidential Palace, Jakarta. This protest action was a support action to International Summit Conference of International Lawyers for West Papua: http://www.ilwp.org/index.php?optio... , held on August 2nd 2011, in London. The similar action was also held in several cities in Papua: http://westpapuamedia.info/2011/08/...

After at least 7 hours interogation Surya Anta was released at 09:41 PM Jakarta time. He was interrogated and also beaten as police found no basis for him to be detained. So he was put as witness and police warned him not to support any Papuan issues and actions anymore. Police forced him to sign a letter for not making any provocation in Papua protest actions in the future.

Surya himself has been more than 7 years involved in solidarity movement for democracy in Papua since he was still member of People’s Democratic Party until now through People’s Liberation Party-PLP. Together with other comerads in PLP, he participated in inititating several conferences and studies for Papua liberation and established solidarity group such as Solidarity for Aceh and Papua (2005), Solidarity for Papua (2010), etc.

We are glad he is being released and this will not happen without all supports from comrades ( at a national and international level) especially comerads from The Commission for the Disappeared and Victims of Violence (KONTRAS) who have given him assistance during the detention.

Struggle continues for Papua people’s liberation.

Thank you very much for your immediate response.